Re: LXQT desktop environment hangs?

On Fri 29 Oct 2021 at 20:59:06 (+0800), kaye n wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 8:52 PM Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 08:22:15PM +0800, kaye n wrote:
> > > LXQT says,
> > >
> > > It will not get in your way. It will not hang or slow down your system.
> > >
> > > However, I've experienced the opposite, especially when I'm using Firefox
> > > browser and attempt to open several pages in different tabs.
> >
> > I think Firefox may actually be the problem: it _is_ memory hungry.
> > The Web is getting heavier and more memory hungry in general - maybe
> > open one or two pages and see how much faster it is.
> >
> > > I don't think the problem lies with Firefox though because I didn't have
> > > that problem on Debian 10 XFCE.  I am now running Debian 11 LXQT.
> > >
> > > I don't want to use XFCE again just because I want to try another.
> > >
> > > Could LXDE be better?  Is there a way I can install LXDE to my existing
> > > Debian 11 running LXQT?  Or should I just fresh install Debian 11 with
> > LXDE
> > > as the default desktop environment?
> > >
> > You could purge LXQT and install LXDE - using tasksel as root/root
> > equivalent.
> >
> > YOu could just add LXDE to what you already have: they share some
> > libraries,
> > I think, and then switch between them. Again, use tasksel to just add
> > it.
> >
> Maybe you're right about Firefox.  Any "light" browsers you can recommend?

Sorry, just trying to catch up here. Can we assume your internet
connection is running at better than 670kbps since Sep29?
And can you remind us whether your current problem is on the old
desktop or the 10-yr old laptop. I recall some specs for the former
(was there a typo — 10GHz?) but how much memory do they each have?
And are you running an installed 11 system, or a live USB stick?

Cheers,
David.