Re: LXQT desktop environment hangs?

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 8:52 PM Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 08:22:15PM +0800, kaye n wrote:
> Hi Friends!
>
> LXQT says,
>
> It will not get in your way. It will not hang or slow down your system.
>
> However, I've experienced the opposite, especially when I'm using Firefox
> browser and attempt to open several pages in different tabs.

I think Firefox may actually be the problem: it _is_ memory hungry.
The Web is getting heavier and more memory hungry in general - maybe
open one or two pages and see how much faster it is.

> I don't think the problem lies with Firefox though because I didn't have
> that problem on Debian 10 XFCE.  I am now running Debian 11 LXQT.
>
> I don't want to use XFCE again just because I want to try another.
>
> Could LXDE be better?  Is there a way I can install LXDE to my existing
> Debian 11 running LXQT?  Or should I just fresh install Debian 11 with LXDE
> as the default desktop environment?

You could purge LXQT and install LXDE - using tasksel as root/root
equivalent.

YOu could just add LXDE to what you already have: they share some libraries,
I think, and then switch between them. Again, use tasksel to just add
it.

> Thank you for your time.

No problem: hope this helps,

Andy Cater

Maybe you're right about Firefox.  Any "light" browsers you can recommend?