Re: LXQT desktop environment hangs?

kaye n writes:

Hi Friends!

LXQT says,

It will not get in your way. It will not hang or slow down your system.

However, I've experienced the opposite, especially when I'm using Firefox browser and attempt to open several pages in different tabs.

I don't think the problem lies with Firefox though because I didn't have that problem on Debian 10 XFCE.  I am now running Debian 11 LXQT.

Note that from Debian 10 XFCE to Debian 11 LXQT a lot of things changed. I am pretty sure that it is not LXQT's fault here especially if the problem only occurs while Firefox is running.

I'd suggest to try debugging _why_ Firefox has become so much slower as per the upgrade. It is unlikely that it is the new Firefox version being slower than the old ones (although it may be possible). What I'd rather guess is that something different changed in the system which now causes it to run slower.

What GPU are you using? How is the RAM load during the slow phases? Can you close invidual tabs to stop the slowness i.e. can you make out that the high load is caused by a specific website or a specific type of website. It could be possible that during the upgrade a combination of driver+GUI was installed that is no longer compatible with your GPU. This would typically manifest in high CPU load for things like video playing or animations of all kinds because the system falls back to "software rendering" in case the GPU is not supported properly.

I don't want to use XFCE again just because I want to try another.

Could LXDE be better?  Is there a way I can install LXDE to my existing Debian 11 running LXQT?  Or should I just fresh install Debian 11 with LXDE as the default desktop environment?

Adding LXDE to your existing installation should be as simple as

	# apt-get install task-lxde-desktop

Watch out if APT displays any conflicts with your existing packages. During login, you should then be able select different types of "sessions" including LXDE and LXQT ones.

From experiments on slow (old, i386) machines, my experience was that LXDE
was indeed a little bit faster than LXQT but the difference is probably not notable on anything but >13 year old hardware :)

Thank you for your time.

HTH and YMMV
Linux-Fan

öö

OT: If you want something that _really_ does not get in the way or slow down, consider switching to any lightweight window manager like Fluxbox, IceWM, i3 etc. These are know to be _very_ responsive even on old machines. Of course, this will not solve the slowness caused by the software you use. Webbrowsers will remain bulky and large as many sites do not work with the lightweight browsers anymore...