Re: buggy N-M (was: Debian 11: Unable to detect wireless interface on an old laptop) computer

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 19:52:19 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue 28 Sep 2021 at 19:12:27 +0100, Joe wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 16:12:21 +0200
> > <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> >
> > >..
> > >
> > > But this wasn't my point. My point was rather that it is going out
> > > on a thin limb to say a complex piece of software isn't "buggy".
> > >
> > It's a matter of degree. All software has bugs, even if you haven't
> > seen them yet.
>
> Never a truer word. This is the "keep them on tenterhools" style of
> support.
>
> > But only some software can be fairly described as 'buggy'. I have no
> > hesitation at all in declaring most of libreoffice to fall into this
> > category, with Base still virtually unusable i.e. extremely buggy.
> > Calc isn't too bad. Volume of users, I suppose, but Base will never
> > gain many users in its present state.
>
> I have never used libreoffice. You have succeeded in persuading me
> never to install it.

I didn't say it wasn't useful. I use Calc quite heavily, Draw and
Writer occasionally. I have tried hard to use Base, it would be
excellent for quick-and-dirty interfaces...if it worked. As it is, for
Q&D I tend to use phpmyedit, or php itself for something more
permanent. I still miss MS Access, by far the best bit of software they
ever made.

> > Claws-Mail verges on 'buggy', with frequent crashes. Firefox on my
> > unstable has blown through buggy and burst out of the other side. I
> > can only name two commercial websites which do not crash its tabs
> > within about thirty seconds. And that's after reinstalling it and
> > all its dependencies. I haven't bothered reporting it because I'm
> > obviously the only person seeing this. I blame JavaScript, as I do
> > with most web infelicities.
>
> The one machine here with Claws-Mail has *never* seen a crash due to
> it (or anything else, for that matter). What am I doing wrong?

Not running unstable? Not running a very old unstable?

> Firefox? Works. Well.

As it does on my other Linux machines. And Windows, for that matter.
The problem is some part of my unstable environment.

> > But my unstable desktop, including hardware, is in its last weeks of
> > life, so I'm not putting too much effort into fixing things. A new
> > installation should fix a multitude of sins.
>
> New installation? Another sid? That should make a difference.

I would have thought so. A new installation should be different in a
great many small ways, as an upgraded system will never be identical
to a new one installed using the same software. This one, as far as I
can tell, has been in continuous use for between twelve and fifteen
years, which I reckon to be a good age for an OS instance. Thanks to
Debian for making it even possible.

--
Joe