Re: Debian 11: Unable to detect wireless interface on an old laptop computer

Hello Henning,

Thanks for your reply.

> Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 1:09 AM
> From: "Henning Follmann" <hfollmann@itcfollmann.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Debian 11: Unable to detect wireless interface on an old laptop computer
>
> And after that device shows up nmcli can be very useful:
>  nmcli device
>
> will list your network devices
>
> if it is not enabled - unless it it is physically switched off -
> you can unblock it with
>
>  nmcli radio wifi on
>
> and to connect
>  nmcli --ask dev wifi connect <your-network-ssid>
>
> it will ask for your wpa password and by default will remember it.

nmcli is from the package network-manager, yes? If it is, I'd prefer not to install it. Why? Many VPN providers/vendors recommend against using Network Manager to connect to OpenVPN servers because the former is buggy and leaks details about the user.

I just came to know that there is a much better wireless daemon called iwd. On the internet it's said that iwd performs better and faster than the tradition wpasupplicant. What's more iwd was conceptualized by someone at Intel.

If you do know how to make changes to the settings of iwd configuration files, I wish to seek your help. You see, I'd to learn how to make use of this wonderful new technology. I have googled the internet and most of them don't provide detailed tutorials on how to set up for a home user. Sure, for example on ArchLinux's wiki pages, there are tutorials on how to set EAP-TTLS etc. I don't even know what EAP-TTLS stands for.

Some of the links that I have surfed to are the following:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Iwd
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/477488/connect-to-wifi-from-command-line-on-linux-systems-through-the-iwd-wireless-dae
https://docs.voidlinux.org/config/network/iwd.html