Re: buggy N-M (was: Debian 11: Unable to detect wireless interface on an old laptop) computer

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 09:00:47AM -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 09:41:22AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 04:47:07PM -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > And N-M is not "buggy". [...]
> >
> > Uh-huh.
>
> What a great argument!

I don't care very much about N-M. It's not the kind of software I
enjoy. Too complex for my taste. De gustibus...

But this wasn't my point. My point was rather that it is going out
on a thin limb to say a complex piece of software isn't "buggy".

> But I play along.
> Are there bugs filed against N-M? Yes there are!
> Are there reasons why people have issues with N-M? You bet!
>
> Up until Jessie N-M had a lot of issues and missing features, which led to
> the bad reputation of N-M. Most of these issue stem from the
> mis/not - understanding of ipc mechanisms, espescially with
> wpasupplicant [...]

My short spat with N-M is *much* older. I wasn't aware of it until
once, at a customer's premises (I had a wired connection into the
customer's net) N-M saw a WiFi "out there" (it turned out to be
one of those captive portals) and thought "oh, let's set the default
route /that/ way"). N-M went out of the window and never ever went
in again. But that's me.

[...]

> My comment to the OP was basically on the nebulous source (most VPN Providers)
> and the generalized categorization (N-M is buggy), which I disagree with.

Fair enough.

Cheers
 - t