buggy N-M (was: Debian 11: Unable to detect wireless interface on an old laptop) computer

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 09:41:22AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 04:47:07PM -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > And N-M is not "buggy". [...]
>
> Uh-huh.

What a great argument!

But I play along.
Are there bugs filed against N-M? Yes there are!
Are there reasons why people have issues with N-M? You bet!

Up until Jessie N-M had a lot of issues and missing features, which led to
the bad reputation of N-M. Most of these issue stem from the
mis/not - understanding of ipc mechanisms, espescially with
wpasupplicant. This often resultet in some "hacked" setups when
(semi-)information from the internet resulted in unstable configurations,
leading to more inaccurate information, when those results where shared
online.

But since buster, if you trust the work and knowledge of the
package maintainers N-M results in reliable network configurations
when we are talking about a default desktop setup. Most issues here
are mainly related to propietary drivers from various chip
manufacturers and not an N-M issue.

My comment to the OP was basically on the nebulous source (most VPN Providers)
and the generalized categorization (N-M is buggy), which I disagree with.

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com