Re: Debian 11: Unable to detect wireless interface on an old laptop computer

Joe <joe@jretrading.com> writes:

> There was an early period when N-M was known as 'Notwork Manager', but
> that was long ago.

How long? I'm just reminded setting up EAP-TLS authentication for wlan
in NetworkManager, Ubuntu 18.04. It took some work, I think I found some
instructions that didn't make much sense (just spam the same thing
multiple times in the config file sort of thing, GUI can't be used) and
didn't work. But they were correct and then all I had to do was fathom
that there's a secret low limit on password length in NM so I had to
redo my cert with a shorter password.

I guess I call these are more usability and documentation bugs.

> See if you can wade through some of the basics of FreeRADIUS. It has
> extensive documentation of a range of auth technologies. e.g. EAP-TLS
> ('extended authentication protocol') is the basic certificate-based
> auth where the client must supply a certificate. I believe the 'TTLS'
> version does not require a client certificate, so I've never looked at
> it. Pretty much all the MS authentications are explained (CHAP, PAP,
> etc.)

So did you find NM convenient for EAP-TLS authentication then? As my
Ubuntu experience was with software from 2018.