Re: A bug in Vim, in Mate Terminal or in Debian 11?

On Sun 19 Sep 2021 at 21:51:57 (+0200), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 02:36:14PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Specifically this is desirable whenever you want the title to show
> > > a "changing" property (in this case, for example, the current
> > > working directory).

> > > That was my question: did you really observe vim resetting the title at
> > > program end, or was it something set dynamically by your shell (you
> > > said you changed your PS1 before the upgrade and the title was "fixed"
> > > at vim's exit, so there's evidence for both hypotheses :-)
> >
> > I did come across this:
> >
> > https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/28500/is-it-possible-to-obtain-the-current-name-of-the-xterm-window
> >
> > There are quite a few tricks that xprop can help with, but there
> > just aren't enough rainy days here to find time to play with them.
>
> Yes, I think I mentioned xprop elsethread. I don't yet know how
> to get the window id of the shell's parent, but hey.
>
> It seems xterm has even a better trick up its sleeve: it has
> a window title /stack/ [1] which you can control via escape
> sequences.
>
> Now it's getting really dangerous: I must resist looking into
> that -- I have a paying customer I've got to make happy :-D
>
> [1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3232655/can-i-get-terminal-title-or-otherwise-restore-old-one

Yes, that link is mentioned in the first reference. So that depends
on how closely Mate terminal (which I've never seen) follows xterm.
OTOH xprop depends on the X server, I presume.

So, for the present, try the stack method first, then xprop if it
doesn't work. Whether stretch's method is still of interest to you, IDK.

Cheers,
David.