Re: smart fans

On 8/23/21 11:41 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
David Christensen wrote:

- Set the Linux CPU governor to "powersave".

Nothing happens when I do that.

Try the QFan "Silent" profile

Same.

What about GPU fan(s)? Power supply fan(s)?
What about HDD's?

Yeah, I thought about that. I listened to the fan I had
outside of the computer, put my ear right next to it.
My impression was I didn't hear anything. So maybe it isn't
the case fans or the CPU cooling tower fans that make the
sound anyway!

Use a piece of tubing as a stethoscope to isolate and identify the noise source(s).

On 8/23/21 11:46 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>
>> If you take the option for let say "performance" then it
>> will be at max speed so the system is the coolest possible
>> all the time.
>
> But changing the profile (governor) doesn't produce any
> (noticable?) sound level change and also the temperature of
> the CPU and the GPU seem unaffected.

You will not notice a change in CPU fan temperature or speed profiles as a function of the Linux governor setting until the motherboard CPU fan speed control is working and you change the CPU load.

Here is a Perl one-liner that should peg one core:

$ perl -e "1 while 1"

Press Ctrl+C to stop it. Open multiple terminals an invoke the same to peg more cores.

> Heh, I have an infrared thermometer, is there some other part
> of the computer I should aim for? ;)

Whatever interests you -- chipset, voltage regulators, memory modules, etc.. Because the instrument is hand-held, the challenge will be measuring the same spot at the same distance and same angle every time.

> No, that command sets the CPU so there is where the change
> should be noticable, right?

Changing the Linux CPU governor should affect the CPU frequency profile as a function of CPU load. I use the Xfce panel applet "CPU Frequency Monitor" to monitor the CPU frequency and the "CPU Graph" applet to monitor loading of each core.

On 8/23/21 11:54 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> David Christensen wrote:
>
>> Changing settings and making measurements at idle is
>> a starting point. You should also put the machine under load
>> and make measurements.
>
> Yes, but I know already that even with all fans (2*CPU cooling
> tower, 3*case) at "Silent" and with the powersave governor it
> still - if indeed anything changed - it still makes to much
> noise so I still hibernate the computer when I don't use it.
>
> The GPU fan looks so small it can't make a lot of noise one
> would think, and the fans for the power supply/the HDD are
> inside a little box even inside the computer case (don't know
> if it has a name?) but if they are really noisy I guess it
> could happen?

On my Intel desktop and server motherboards, CPU fan speed control only works with Intel CPU fans. Aftermarket fans run at full speed all the time. Try your AMD CPU fan.

Get a 3-pin and/or 4-pin fan speed controller and test the fans:

https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Fan-Speed-Controller-FANMATE-2/dp/B000292DO0/

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-FC1-4-pin-PWM-Controller/dp/B072M2HKSN/

While STFW, I found a what might be a replacement for your external fan:

https://www.amazon.com/Wathai-Controller-Receiver-Playstation-Component/dp/B07VYGQPCZ/

The video card and power supply fans should have automatic fan speed control. The video card manufacturer might offer a firmware or software utility for tuning the fan speed control profile. A gamer power supply might have such a feature. That said, I expect the factor defaults should be good enough for now. I would leave them alone, unless you definitely hear too much noise coming from one or both.

Small fans at high RPM can be very shrill -- e.g. the spectra has a lot of high frequency energy. I use 3.5" HDD mobile racks with two 30mm fans each (StarTech DRW115SAT). When I install four in a computer, it sounds like a B-52!

David