smart fans

o/

Is there a way to have "smart fans" that only go as fast
as needed?

Or, lacking that, is there a way to manually switch them off
when one isn't using the computer?

I do

  $ sudo hibernate -v 0

but that seems to kill the Internet connection as well :(

I managed to output the GPU/CPU temperature like this

  #! /bin/zsh
  # https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/misc-hw
  temperature () {
      local gpu=$(sensors -j | jq -a '.["nouveau-pci-0100"].temp1.temp1_input')
      local cpu=$(sensors -j | jq -a '.["k10temp-pci-00c3"].Tdie.temp1_input')
      echo "GPU ${gpu}C"
      echo "cpu ${cpu}C"
  }
  alias temp=temperature

Perhaps one should leave those on?

But I also have, connected to the motherboard

  fan     front low           be quiet! Shadow Wings 2  140 mm
          front high          be quiet! Shadow Wings 2  140 mm
          CPU cooling tower   be quiet! Pure Wings 2    120 mm  (2)
          rear                Corsair                   120 mm
          projector extra     fractal Silent Series R3  140 mm
  <https://dataswamp.org/~incal/ebchw/COMPUTER>

Can I reduce their speeds/turn them off from software?

TIA

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal