Re: smart fans

On 8/23/21 1:44 PM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...] maybe it isn't
the case fans or the CPU cooling tower fans that make the
sound anyway!

If nothing else helps to find the culprit, then consider to unplug all
case fans to prove that it's not them.
A bit more adventurous is to run the CPU without fan for a few seconds.

(I assume from your fan list that it is a larger box where such
manipulations are feasible.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

Unplugging the chassis fans would make it easier to focus on the CPU fans, but all the fans should be operating with the chassis closed before applying any significant load. (Or, at least the CPU fans, an open chassis, and a good floor fan.)

With my Intel motherboards, if I power up and the CPU fan is unplugged or not rotating (e.g. blocked by wires), the firmware will detect this during POST and halt the CPU.

David