Re: New video card, how to deal?

Anssi Saari composed on 2021-07-30 11:42 (UTC+0300):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Have you tried both pure FOSS solutions? If xserver-xorg-video-nouveau is
>> installed, try purging it. The generic nature of the modesetting DIX could
>> conceivably be enough to run that bleeding edge GPU well enough to get you by
>> without going to backports or Bullseye.

> No, I assumed any support in nouveau is years away. I don't know what
> the other pure FOSS solution is?
	Modesetting DIX driver

(Device Independent X driver)

as opposed to Device Dependent X drivers Amdgpu, Intel, Nouveau & Radeon.

The (formerly experimental[1]) xf86-video-modesetting DIX was moved into the
xserver-xorg (server) package over 6 years ago (1.17, post-Jessie). Upstream, it's
the default X driver.

[1]
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/hw/xfree86/drivers/modesetting?id=106bea5ad1bdd5795d6ed625fc6351a161bffa6e
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata