Re: New video card, how to deal?

Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> writes:

> Have you tried both pure FOSS solutions? If xserver-xorg-video-nouveau is
> installed, try purging it. The generic nature of the modesetting DIX could
> conceivably be enough to run that bleeding edge GPU well enough to get you by
> without going to backports or Bullseye.

No, I assumed any support in nouveau is years away. I don't know what
the other pure FOSS solution is? But anyway, not what I'm looking for.

> OTOH, why not Bullseye? It's on the verge of official release, running on more
> than 20 PCs here.

Because it doesn't solve any problem since it has no newer Nvidia
drivers. If it did they'd likely be in buster-backports too. Also,
Bullseye is insecure with no security updates until it's actually
released. You may be fine with that but I'm not.