Re: New video card, how to deal?

Anssi Saari composed on 2021-07-30 10:32 (UTC+0300):

> I managed to snag a new video card with Nvidia's RTX3070Ti.  Due to the
> recent release of the 3070Ti, I have a bit of a problem with Debian 10
> as required drivers are quite new (460.84 or 465.31) and Buster has
> 460.73 in backports. And now Bullseye is frozen so presumably there
> won't be an update in weeks or months.

> On my PC in addition to Debian I have Arch and Windows 10 where new
> enough drivers are not a problem. As a workaround I set up a two display
> setup where one display is driven by Intel's integrated and the other by
> my new Nvidia and that's OK, just in Debian the other display is blank.

> So what can I do now to get new enough Nvidia drivers? Or actually, is
> there a documented way for me to create an nvidia-driver package for
> Buster that I can build and install myself? I don't want to get a PhD in
> Debian packaging or anything, I guess I mostly want to borrow someone
> else's recipes on that topic.

Have you tried both pure FOSS solutions? If xserver-xorg-video-nouveau is
installed, try purging it. The generic nature of the modesetting DIX could
conceivably be enough to run that bleeding edge GPU well enough to get you by
without going to backports or Bullseye.

OTOH, why not Bullseye? It's on the verge of official release, running on more
than 20 PCs here.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata