Re: New video card, how to deal?

Le vendredi 30 juillet 2021 à 11:42 +0300, Anssi Saari a écrit :
> Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> writes:
[...]
> > [OTOH, why not Bullseye? It's on the verge of official release,
> > running on more
> > than 20 PCs here.
>
> Because it doesn't solve any problem since it has no newer Nvidia
> drivers. If it did they'd likely be in buster-backports too. Also,
> Bullseye is insecure with no security updates until it's actually
> released. You may be fine with that but I'm not.

Hello,

The official release date of Bullseye (Debian 11) is august, the 14th.

There is an Experimental Debian repository which contains the most up-
to-date non-free Nvidia driver (470.57.02-1, similar to Nvidia
website):
https://packages.debian.org/experimental/nvidia-driver

Experimental is like *-backports, a repository that only contains
selected material and is intended to be used in conjonction with Sid
(Unstable in Debian terms, but roughly similar to Archlinux in terms of
packages maturity and overall stability/security, IMO), I assume (never
used Experimental myself), if one doesn't want a FrankenDebian.

But it is likely that shortly after Bullseye release, this version of
the driver will land in Sid (Unstable). And I imagine that later, in
Bulseye-backports too.