Re: suppress interactive messages at upgrade

On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 14:12:34 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm not addressed here, nor have I run unattended, nor used
> DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive, but I would assume that
> any need to restart will get logged. Seems likely.

I have used unattended-upgrades. It will either handle reboots
automatically, at a time of day you specify, or it will let you know.

Unattended-upgrades can be configured to send an email to an
appropriate user when it runs. It will let you know if a reboot is
required in the subject line. The email consists of the log of the
upgrade process, so you can see exactly what it did, including packages
upgraded.

You can use the automatic reboot if you don't have an encrypted file
system; otherwise, I recommend you reboot manually.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/