Re: suppress interactive messages at upgrade

On Thu 29 Jul 2021 at 19:53:37 (+0200), Hans wrote:
> Hi Dan, Hi Ian,
>
> I thought about unattended-upgraded, but this is not what really want. My
> intention is more, to update using a script with apt and using "-y" tags. This
> is working well, instead of these two little issues. One I could solve
> meanwhile (ncurses question with needrestart), the other one apppears only,
> when a new kernel is installed.
>
> Sure, I can set DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive, but then I might miss
> something.

I'm not addressed here, nor have I run unattended, nor used
DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive, but I would assume that
any need to restart will get logged. Seems likely.

However, you might overlook the logs, so you might still
miss something. Isn't that just what needrestart's
interaction is for: so you can't miss it? I guess it's
time to decide.

> I know, both options will work, and might solve my problem, but I want to
> avoid, to run in new issues.
>
> But I will test both solutions you told of, and if there are other
> suggestions, I will have a look at them as well.

Cheers,
David.