Re: Update or reinstall

On Thu 29 Jul 2021 at 04:16:39 (-0400), Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> On 2021-07-29 12:58 a.m., David Wright wrote:
> >>
> >> What's the link between installing a VM and the description of your laptop ?
> >>
> >> Also, Macbook in x86 booting from BIOS ?
> >>
> >> Macbook use either UEFI for the Intel ones or OpenBoot for the older ones.
> >>
> >> No such thing as a BIOS on a MacBook.
> >>
> >> Sorry but your message is everything except easy to understand.
> >>
> >> If you are installing Linux in a VM on your laptop then you should also
> >> describe what type of VM you are using and the specifications. Your
> >> Friend Linu[s] should have taught you this. Also, he should teach you that
> >> a faster internet won't make your VM faster.
> >>
> >> Maybe you could either answer a message or include in this one, what
> >> reason are you writing this ?
> >>
> >> As it may sound obvious for yourself, it's not necessarily for others.
> >> Plus it's not much of use for someone who'd like into to the archive
> >> looking for answer.
> >>
> >> If I do get a idea of why you are writing this here, it's not the case
> >> for other people around.
> >
> > One might assume from
> >
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/07/msg01033.html
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/07/msg01167.html
> >
> > that these deal with the same machine, and that Gunnar hasn't quite
> > mastered the technique of threading, but is keen to add to the
> > list of tested hardware.
> >
> One doesn't always read all the messages and only uses the subject to
> get a idea.
>
> Now is he saying his machine can WORK with Debian or is this related to
> the message I had with him earlier about a problem with his system NOT
> WORKING and CRASHING on update, requiring CLEAN REINSTALL.
>
> And this is the part that would be nice to know...
>
> Got it ?

Of course I haven't. I see scattered posts (only some) from Gunnar
that don't seem to make a lot of sense, followed up by discussion and
argument, much of which could be avoided by getting some facts into
the posts. Hence my suggestion (snipped) to run

$ ls /sys/firmware/
$ uname -a
$ grep address /proc/cpuinfo

and clarify what type of machine (machines?) is being discussed.
Perhaps it's reckless not to have suggested a command proving
it's a Debian system.

In all of Gunnar's posts, I think I have only seen one report of actual
output posted, and I have no idea what the origin of that was, viz:

  # UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM
  overlay / overlay rw 0 0
  tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nosuid,nodev 0 0
  /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 EXT2 nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
  /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3 EXT2 nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,noauto,x-udisks-auth 0 0
  /dev/sda2 none swap sw,x-udisks-auth,noauto 0 0

Cheers,
David.