Re: How do I mount the USB stick containing the installer in Rescue Mode?

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 01:28:57PM +0200, Stella Ashburne wrote:
> Hi Reco
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> > Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 at 5:09 AM
> > From: "Reco" <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net>
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: Re: How do I mount the USB stick containing the installer in Rescue Mode?

> > > Could you be so nice as to give me the command(s) to bind mount the directory with packages? Thank you.
> >
> > mount --bind <source_dir_with_packages> \
> > 	/target/<target_dir_where_packages_should_be>
> >

> Sorry, what's source_dir_with_packages ? Were you referring to /dev/sdb1 ?

No, of course not.
The whole idea of bind-mount is that you do not mount a *device* on top
of directory, you mount a *directory* on top of another one.

You have an install media (USB stick).
That install media has a filesystem on it (/dev/sdb1), which contains
the usual Linux kernel, initrd, *and* the set of packages which
installer is supposed, well, to install for you.

That set of packages resides in a directory structure, which exact name
escapes me at this moment.
What's important is - the filesystem on /dev/sdb1 is already mounted by
installer, all you have to do is to locate that directory in the mounted
filesystem.

> By target_dir_where_packages_should_be, did you mean that I create a directory called stella (for example)?

Whatever floats your boat.
Bind-mount a package directory somewhere in /target, and point apt to it.
Specific target directory name is not relevant, but you should create it
before the mounting.

Reco