Re: How do I mount the USB stick containing the installer in Rescue Mode?

Hi

> Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 9:55 AM
> From: "Reco" <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: How do I mount the USB stick containing the installer in Rescue Mode?
>
> 	Hi.
>
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 11:43:26AM +0200, Stella Ashburne wrote:
> > Next, I entered Executive a shell in /dev/perfect-vg/root
>
> It's Superuser shell actually, not Supervisor/Executive one.

Thanks for pointing out my typo.

> Something has mounted your device elsewhere already.

I guess that when I used the USB-installer to boot my machine into Rescue Mode, the USB stick is mounted, yes?

> A usual thing with the modern desktop environments.
> Check the output of "mount" and "df -Th" and /dev/sdb1 will probably be
> there. I'd like to see the output of these commands too, btw.

Output of mount is

root@perfect:/# mount
/dev/mapper/perfect--vg-root on / type ext4 (rw,relatime)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=8137669k,nr_inodes=2034417,mode=755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1629756k,mode=755)
root@perfect:/#

Output of dh -Th is

root@perfect:/# df -Th
Filesystem                Type        Size    Used    Avail    Use%   Mounted on
/dev/perfect-vg/root      ext4        36G     773M    33G      3%     /
devtmpfs                  devtmpfs   7.8G        0   7.8G      0%     /dev
tmpfs                     tmpfs      1.6G      96K   1.6G      1%     /run
root@perfect:/#

> If these are the full contents of /etc/fstab, it's incorrect.
> In addition to the mountpoint you should specify a block device (or its
> equivalent), filesystem type, mount points, dump/pass and that's the
> least.

Thanks for the mini instruction. I really appreciate it.

> I.e. this line is wrong:
>
> /media/myusb
>
> This line is correct:
>
> /dev/sdb1 /media/usb auto defaults,nofail 0 0
>
> "nofail" is really needed for removable devices, because whoever
> designed systemd made an "interesting" decision to halt the boot process
> (i.e. host is inaccessible by network, console access only) even if a
> single filesystem mentioned in fstab fails to mount.
> You may want to add "noauto" as well, see fstab(5).

I read fstab(5). Unfortunately such man pages don't contain examples to illustrate the arguments and options.