Re: Buster no release file

On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 09:25:51PM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, July 10, 2021 06:44:47 PM Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > I was going to link you to the DebianBuster wiki page where I had put
> > the standard sources.list for buster, but it appears someone doesn't
> > want you to have that information.
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/DebianBuster?action=diff&rev2=23&rev1=22
> >
> > You can thank the person who goes by the name PaulWise for making your
> > Debian wiki a less informative and less useful place.
> >
> > I *REALLY* and truly hate assholes like that.
>
> +1
>
> Do you know him or have had any contact with him (other than by virtue of the
> change he made to the wiki)?

No, I've never heard of him before.

> I mean, it seems like if there was a good reason to delete that information
> (which I can't imagine), he should have given a better explanation of why he
> was deleting it.

I've dealt with people like this in other communities.  Some people
seem to feel that a wiki has a fixed format, and that certain pages
should *only* contain certain pieces of information, in a certain format,
and that any deviation from this historical format must be stamped out.

I don't know where this mindset comes from, but I'd bet there are
multiple Debian wiki editors who hold it.  There's rarely just one.
There's typically a self-appointed cabal.

If you ever wonder why the Debian wiki will never match the Arch wiki in
terms of quality, people like this are a part of the reason.