Re: Debian stable - updates

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 07:46:58 -0500
John Hasler <john@sugarbit.com> wrote:

> Joe writes:
> > When I'm sufficiently
> > annoyed with the problem I'll do a reinstall but there are over 4000
> > packages...
>
> While I don't upgrade daily it's bad to let it get that far behind.

I do upgrade pretty much daily. I meant that if I reinstall manually,
that's a lot of packages, and if I reinstall in some automatic way
(e.g. get-selections) then I may just recreate the same problems,
depending on installation order. I've had a number of bugs, some of
which I've reported, which seem to be 'just me'. My Firefox currently
crashes tabs on most e-commerce or other complex sites, and I can't see
anyone else with the same problem. I think I have an old and crufty
system which needs a complete clean out.

A manual reinstall, of course, it would be spread out over time,
installing packages as I need them. Probably no more than half are in
regular use. It's still a job I'm putting off.

--
Joe