Re: Server setup

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 04:39:11PM -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> > I would like to have my system running on different partition for home,
> > usr, var, tmp, etc... This is a safe route to prevent some problem (such
> > as filling up a partition that risk trashing the system).
>
> "etc."?  As in, that's NOT EVEN THE ENTIRE LIST ?!?
>
> Come on.  Get real here.

This is a pretty good case for ZFS. zfs volumes sharing a zpool
can be quota'd so that they each have allocations; setting the
total quota to less than the zpool capacity (80% would be a good
percentage) means that there should be lots of time between the
event daemon telling you that a filesystem is running out of
room and you having to do anything significant about it.

Bonuses: snapshots, compression, and better-than-rsync backups.

All of Greg's concerns are valid.

-dsr-