Re: Server setup

On 6/13/21 7:53 PM, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> I have a choice of OS and it does a great job running Debian Buster.
>>> But...
>>>
>>> The "standard" installation give me one partition in RAID mirror ( 3 x 2
>>> To). So I get only a big root partition and nothing else....
>>>
>>> I don't have access to my server with a KVM, so all has to be done thru
>>> the network using a recovery (rescue) option. That is, I was able to
>>> reboot in rescue mode, use debootstrap to populate a new system.
>>>
>>> Where it did fail was for the reboot.
>>
>> Hi Polyna-Maude,
>>
>> I didn't understand what you problems were. Using GPT partition table
>> with BIOS (not UEFI) is just fine therefore you have "BIOS boot"
>> partition for the second stage of Grub. If you have problems with
>> partitioning or other part of initial Debian installation I recommend to
>> ask OVH's support. In the past they had wizard where you can configure
>> partitions. ... and don't forget to configure IPv6, according to
>> statistics provided by Google, 1/3 of their users use IPv6.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Georgi
>>

> If you read the part of my message I've left you'll see that :
>
> 1st, I'm using a OVH server but it's provided by one-provider, so the
> interface (aka Wizard) ain't the same.
>
> 2nd, I am asking how to do something using command line interface. So
> don,t tell me "Hey dude, use a wizard".
>
> 3rd, regarding contacting tech support. You really think it's OVH's job
> to explain to me how to install OS using network boot and a shell
> interface ? I doubt....
>
> Just a little hint for life... If someone is telling you, I'm fucked
> using a CLI and they seem to have a basic knowledge of what they are
> doing. Then think twice and you'll get in your mind that they've already
> exhausted the easy one of using a click and poop solution like a wizard.

Dear Polyna-Maude,

I'm very sorry if I have made you feel bad.

I have not used dedicated servers for years so excuse me for not being
familiar with OVH or whatever company you use for VPS or dedicated
servers. My point is that there should be something like configurator
(wizard, template or whatever) what has to help you to do initial
configuration of OS - partitions, RAID level, network configuration and
minimal OS installation, and - yes - if that is not Debian installer
then yes - you can ask technical support to provide information for the
tool they use.

Kind regards
Georgi