Re: Server setup

Hi,

On 2021-06-14 11:21 a.m., David Wright wrote:
> On Sun 13 Jun 2021 at 13:57:33 (-0400), Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>
>> You must also have a huge need to answer question without reading what
>> they are.
>>
>> I ain't using the Debian installer because I don't have access to the
>> KVM (Keyboard, Mouse, etc).
>>
>> So if you read back my message.
>> I boot using a rescue system over the network.
>> I do my partition.
>> I make the filesystem.
>> I mount.
>> I use debootstrap.
>> And after I need to configure boot, this is where it blocks.
>>
>> Got it now ?
>>
>> So how useful is your answer to use "the wizard in the installer ?".
>> And no there's no configuration helper (said it for the 3rd time now).
>>
>> If you can't help... Just a hint, do same as I do, you let other people
>> answer.
>
> I don't know whether I can be of any help, but I can ask a few questions.
>
> You wrote "The machine doesn't seem to use EFI (like most server)"

The machine doesn't use EFI, like most server it's BIOS based. I know
this one for sure, there's a BIOS boot partition.

> You really need to know. What does /sys/firmware/ contain, in particular,
> /sys/firmware/efi… ?
>
>   "and I only see the following partition using the automatic installer."

The server provider (one-provider/OVH) offer a choice of OS (include
Debian Buster) but there's no configuration from the user. So it just
build a huge partition. I have 3 x 2 Tb disk and it makes them in RAID-0
(mirror).

> Did you mean disk, rather than partition? What's in /sys/block/ ?
>
> You wrote 'The "standard" installation give me one partition in RAID
> mirror ( 3 x 2 To). So I get only a big root partition and nothing else....'
>
> Does that mean that the partitioning was done on your behalf?
> "I do my partition. I make the filesystem." seems to contradict that.
> Do you know what the 3rd and 4th partitions are intended for?

Because the installation does the partition on my behalf, I preferred to
do another way. That is, boot the system into rescue mode, that's a
Linux system over the network. There I can partition my own disk, and
after use debootstrap.

>   "But I get a bit lost when it's time to use grub to setup my machine by remote."
>
> Did the "standard" installation give you any hints about setting up
> booting on the machine, or is that why standard is in scare quotes.
> (Or is it unusual for a standard install method to make any mention
> of such important matters.)

Now what I did was to install the machine using the "helper" given by
the provider (OVH/OneProvider). This way I can dissect the working
system and see how the configuration is done.

> Cheers,
> David.

Thanks,

--