Re: How to reference xxxdvd1.iso in sources.list

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 10:03:37AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

[...]

> It's _loop_ mounting of _each_ ISO I wish to avoid.

Again, glad to be proven wrong. But /if/ the iso file system image
is lying around as a file in a mounted file system, I don't see a
way around a loop device to actually mount it.

Different, of course from the case where it's on a medium (stick,
partition, you name it) which already appears as a device.

> What I had seen had the general for in fstab of
>
>   /dev/hdb5	/mydvds	ISO9660		defaults	1	1
>
> and each iso of a dvd had its own line in sources.list *IIRC*

This would work for a "real" CDROM, for a dedicated disk partition,
for an USB stick (or a partition therein).

For an image file, the missing link, AFAIK, is a loopback device,
which you seem to dislike (I don't know yet why).

Cheers
 - t