Re: Repo. ppa.launchpad.net

On Thu 13 May 2021 at 06:59:04 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 11:48:37AM +0200, Stefan Krusche wrote:
> > > sudo aptitude -v show signal-desktop|grep -i archive
> > > Archive: xenial, now
> > > Archive: xenial
> > > Archive: xenial
> > > Archive: xenial
> > > Archive: xenial
> >
> > If you have installed these as .deb packages *and* the sources.list file
> > was installed thereby then you should find it with the dpkg -S command
> > I proposed in a previous mail.
>
> Not if the sources.list.d/*.list entry was created by a postinst script.
> dpkg -S only shows you files that are included in the package's tarball,
> not files that are generated at installation time.

Seeing "xenial" above, I typed   ubuntu signal package   into google
and clicked on the second link:
https://websiteforstudents.com/how-to-install-signal-desktop-on-ubuntu-16-04-17-10-18-04/
Here's the script it recommends you run. I notice that it pipes the
output of curl straight into sudo'd commands without a care in the world:

  suXdo apt install curl
  curl -s https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt/keys.asc | suXdo apt-key add -
  echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt xenial main" | suXdo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list
  suXdo apt update && suXdo apt install signal-desktop

I'm surprised it doesn't do a quick upgrade while it's about it.
Anyway, that's what I call self-inflicted.

Cheers,
David.