Re: How to reference xxxdvd1.iso in sources.list

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 04:35:38AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 05/12/2021 02:44 PM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> >This wiki [1] suggests using apt-cdrom to do the magic for you

> >[1] https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList#CD-ROM

[...]

> But I have an iso file on a disk drive -- be it internal HDD or a
> USB flash drive.

"If all else fails, read the instructions" ;-)

The wiki I pointed you to above has this to say (that section
is just a couple of lines, less than this mail is long!):

   "If you'd rather use your CD-ROM [...] you can put it in your
    /etc/apt/sources.list. To do so, you can use the apt-cdrom
    program like this:

    # apt-cdrom add

    with the Debian CD-ROM in the drive."

And now this is for you:

   "You can use -d for the directory of the CD-ROM mount point
    or add a non-CD mount point (i.e. a USB keydrive)."

If I were you, I'd try and see what

  "apt-cdrom -d /path/to/mounted/usb/stick/or/whatever"

does to my sources.list(.d)

Of course, you'll have to actually *mount* that ISO file to
achieve that. You don't expect apt to duplicate the inner
workings of every file system driver under the moon to be
able to extract files from any random file system image [1],
do you?

Cheers

[1] Grub already tries to do this, alas :-/

 - t