Re: How to reference xxxdvd1.iso in sources.list

On 05/13/2021 05:42 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

tomas wrote:
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList#CD-ROM

Richard Owlett wrote:
But I have an iso file on a disk drive -- be it internal HDD or a USB flash
drive.

tomas wrote:
And now this is for you:
   "You can use -d for the directory of the CD-ROM mount point
    or add a non-CD mount point (i.e. a USB keydrive)."
If I were you, I'd try [...]
  "apt-cdrom -d /path/to/mounted/usb/stick/or/whatever"
[...]
Of course, you'll have to actually *mount* that ISO file to
achieve that.

I wonder why the wiki does not mention "file:" URIs.
   $ man sources.list
says

   "file
    The file scheme allows an arbitrary directory in the file system to
    be considered an archive. This is useful for NFS mounts and local
    mirrors or archives."

Possible benefits of "cdrom:" could be that you do not have to give the
relative path from ISO root to the /pool directory and that you may get
an opportunity to plug and mount a new USB stick if the desired file is
not found in the mounted ISOs.

It would be helpful if somebody with sufficient experience would write
something about the choice between "file:" and "cdrom:" into the wiki.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

Somebody has written on the general topic but what I had seen was not in the debian.org hierarchy. What I had seen accommodated multiple ISO9660 DVD images in a single directory without using loop mounting. Once found I'd like to see it reference in Section 4.3 of "Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide".