Re: how to use fetchmail with MS Office 365 / davmail?

On Wed, Apr 28 2021 at 08:20:37 PM, Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> wrote:
> Dear debian users, the company which employs me uses MS 365
> (former Office 365) in a federated setup where users are
> taken from MS to the companys login server for
> authentication.
>
> Which means that I have to authenticate via a web form with
> the company's login server.  MS does not know the passwords
> instead hashes are exchanged between the servers.  Some
> clients (Outlook) are able to cache successful
> authentication for days but also need to relay
> authentication to the company's server.
>
> I would like to use IMAP to access email in order to
> circumvent Outlook, but AFAIK there is no way for fetchmail
> or other command line tools to authenticate via web page and
> use the IMAP Server then (Thunderbird is able to do this but
> I don't want to use Thunderbird).
>
> I hoped davmail would be able to do that but I have no clue
> how to tell davmail to authenticate in this way.  AFAIK the
> only way is to provide a password which does not apply here.
>
> Any ideas, help?

I use my work email address as the username and the work password along
with it when using imap/smtp with davmail.  There are multiple sign-in
options (one of which was selected by your employer) listed at
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/plan-connect-user-signin,
but I think IMAP should work regardless.  My workplace uses federated
authentication, and davmail works fine for me.

Have you tried and failed to authenticate using your email address and
password?

--
regards,
kushal