Re: how to use fetchmail with MS Office 365 / davmail?

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 01:27:07PM +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Thursday, 29 Apr 2021 at 14:21, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > That means you've to carry a funny dongle with you all the time?
> > Or is the "second factor" that oh-so-secure "smart" phone?
>
> Three choices for second factor:
>
> 1. use MS's own app for authentication. Yeah, right.

Yeah ;-)

> 2. txt message to your phone (so need not be "smart")

You know those can be (and have been) hi-jacked, don't you?

> I've gone with 2 as that works most effectively wherever I may be
> (e.g. out of country, once things return to normal, assuming they
> do...).

Yes, looks like the least obnoxious. Perhaps one could McGyver something
around it with a GSM stick playing mobile phone? ;-)

> And to think that email was once a simple yet effective tool.  It's been
> hijacked.

I'm not very much into conspiracy theories, but here, I'm convinced that
the "big players" want to downright kill mail because there's no way
for them to monetise it.

At the time O365 was desperately trying to enter that BigCorp I talked
about, there was a buzzing meme in the hierarchy's mid- to high echelons,
on how "email is kind of old and ineffective". I'm *sure* that buzz had
been planted into their ears by Wormtong^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H uh, the Microsoft
sales rep. After all, they know how to talk to decision makers. They are
paid for that.

Cheers
 - t