Re: pci 0000:00:01:0: MSI quirk detected; subordinated MSI disabled ...

Albretch Mueller wrote:
> > What you lose this way (besides time) is having apt calculate
> > which supporting packages you need. However,
>
> > https://packages.debian.org
>
> > will happily tell you all the dependencies of any given package,
> > and then you can get all the dependencies of each of those, and
> > so on.
>
>  yes, and "japt" would scrape those pages or even simulate apt to
> figure out all dependencies and then download all the packages you
> need to install locally, off line.

It's a niche need. People who do this at scale keep their own
copies of the entire Debian repository (I do, at work.) People
who do this as one-offs tend not to share your specific needs.

> > You can compile your own kernel with no hardware network
> > drivers.
>
>  Yes, you can! (tm), but imagine, just imagine, as JOhn Lennon sang,
> that networking would be taken out of the kernel!

... because for almost everyone, it's better in the kernel.

> At times it amazes
> me to discuss with you such issues here. What is the point of using
> security based on IP tables when the active code/js bs is used to even
> probe the keyboard for the passwords you use in case you use the same
> one in your off line and on line machines? They have been using js
> injection even as part of general societal AI bots.

This paragraph made sense up until the word active, and then it
went right off the rails.

You seem to be conflating three different things.

iptables is a firewall mechanism that allows you to reject
unwanted traffic based on properties of IP packets.

If you're running someone else's malicious code, you have lost
your security game already. Don't do that.

"AI" either doesn't exist or has been around for decades,
depending on how you want to define it. Your "they" is
undefined. JavaScript is just a language; there's nothing
special about it that can't be done in Haskell, Forth or
Fortran. Web browsers tend to implement it, but you can also
turn it off altogether -- e.g. I can think of three different
mechanisms that are practical:

Use Firefox with the Disable JavaScript extension.

Use Firefox with ublock Origin and turn off JavaScript
execution.

Use a non-JavaScript equipped browser.

-dsr-