Re: pci 0000:00:01:0: MSI quirk detected; subordinated MSI disabled ...

On Thursday 15 April 2021 03:50:19 didier gaumet wrote:

> Le 15/04/2021 à 02:29, Albretch Mueller a écrit :
> >   if I boot up passing to the kernel the start up option:
> >
> >   knoppix64 debug pci=nomsi noapic
> >
> >   I would get just two lines further bellow:
> >
> >   pci 0000:00:01:0: MSI quirk detected; subordinated MSI disabled
> >   PCI Interrupt Link [LNKA] enabled at IRQ 11
> >   PCI: setting IRQ 11 as level-triggered
> >
> >   and the boot process would stop.
> >
> >   is there a way for me to know what the next step would be? The
> > kernel boot up logs should be " (do)ing ....", "... ok"
>
> [...]
>
> Hello Albretch,
>
> I do not know if there is a way to deduce what the next step is in the
> boot process of a particular hardware. And with systemd, the boot
> procedure is parallelized
>
> I am afraid I have no tried and easy solution to propose to you
>
> I do not know what you motherboard is and how old it is.
>
> What I suggest would be to investigate if your BIOS or UEFI has
> particular settings for PCI and try to adapt them to the hardware
> present and the OS installed/to be installed.
>
> As a further measure, you could try to play with the different kernel
> parameters to see if there is an improvement:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.ht
>ml
>
> concerned parameters could be:
> - *debug* (to increase the level on information you get at boot, but I
> doubt it alittle because the Debian kernel is not built with all debug
> options in order to be quicker at runtime)
> - *irq* (whith the nomsi option, the system would, it seems, be in irq
> mode) - *acpi*
> - *bios* (to try to forbid the bios to be called by the OS to
> determine how to call MSI/IRQ)
> - *pci* and *pcie*
>
> As with Knoppix, you can pass a kernel option to the boot in Debian by
> hitting "e" key at boot to edit the command line to launch the kernel
>
> Good luck :-)

Or you could do what I did after fighting with an msi board for several
years a decade back, feed it to the trash can and replace it with an ARK
shoebox w/intel atom D-525-MW motherboad that was just enough power to
get the job done, and Just Worked for a decade. But just in the last 90
days has been replaced with a stack of Dell 7010's with i5 cpu's, off
lease stuff for $150/copy. Much faster stuff, and makes 4 of the 6
running in my farm identical. Simplifies things quite a bit.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis