Re: pci 0000:00:01:0: MSI quirk detected; subordinated MSI disabled ...

Le 15/04/2021 à 02:29, Albretch Mueller a écrit :

  if I boot up passing to the kernel the start up option:

  knoppix64 debug pci=nomsi noapic

  I would get just two lines further bellow:

  pci 0000:00:01:0: MSI quirk detected; subordinated MSI disabled
  PCI Interrupt Link [LNKA] enabled at IRQ 11
  PCI: setting IRQ 11 as level-triggered

  and the boot process would stop.

  is there a way for me to know what the next step would be? The kernel
boot up logs should be " (do)ing ....", "... ok"
[...]

Hello Albretch,

I do not know if there is a way to deduce what the next step is in the boot process of a particular hardware. And with systemd, the boot procedure is parallelized

I am afraid I have no tried and easy solution to propose to you

I do not know what you motherboard is and how old it is.

What I suggest would be to investigate if your BIOS or UEFI has particular settings for PCI and try to adapt them to the hardware present and the OS installed/to be installed.

As a further measure, you could try to play with the different kernel parameters to see if there is an improvement:
 https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.html

concerned parameters could be:
- *debug* (to increase the level on information you get at boot, but I doubt it alittle because the Debian kernel is not built with all debug options in order to be quicker at runtime)
- *irq* (whith the nomsi option, the system would, it seems, be in irq mode)
- *acpi*
- *bios* (to try to forbid the bios to be called by the OS to determine how to call MSI/IRQ)
- *pci* and *pcie*

As with Knoppix, you can pass a kernel option to the boot in Debian by hitting "e" key at boot to edit the command line to launch the kernel

Good luck :-)