Re: command to start sshfs at bootup?

On Sat 17 Apr 2021 at 21:28:34 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 17 April 2021 20:26:19 Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 08:11:37PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > I just checked this machine and 4 others, all of whom are mounted to
> > > their own named directory as subdirs of /sshnet, which work
> > > perfectly without a mention of it in any machines /etc/fstab. Adding
> > > the new machine as the last line in this $HOME/bin/mount-machines
> > > bash script: ------------
> > > #!/bin/bash
> > > sshfs gene@sixty40.coyote.den:/ /sshnet/sixty40
> > > sshfs gene@lathe:/              /sshnet/lathe
> > > sshfs gene@GO704:/              /sshnet/GO704
> > > sshfs pi@rpi4:/			/sshnet/rpi4
> > > sshfs gene@TLM:/		/sshnet/TLM
> > > sshfs gene@3dprint:/		/sshnet/3dprint
> > > --------------

> Humm, I just recalled that I had to rename another machine to sixty40 as
> 6040 was apparently not a valid hostname. I now wonder if I should
> rename that machine to threedeeprint.domain.name.
>
> That has to be it, I'll change that and try it tomorrow

So twice in less than two months, you seem to be having a
self-inflicted problem with machine names, and I guess these
quotations give hints why. Back in 1990, RFC1178/FYI5 listed
some recommendations, a selection of which is:

  . Don't choose a name after a project unique to that machine.
  . Don't use long names.
  . Don't use digits at the beginning of the name.
  . Don't expect case to be preserved.

Here, they forgot to add "don't mix O0, Il1, S5 etc". A later
paragraph is amusing:

  . There is always room for an exception.

       I don't think any explanation is needed here.  However, let me
       add that if you later decide to change a name (to something
       sensible like you should have chosen in the first place), you
       are going to be amazed at the amount of pain awaiting you.
       matter how easy the manuals suggest it is to change a name, you
       will find that lots of obscure software has rapidly accumulated
       which refers to that computer using that now-ugly name.  It all
       has to be found and changed.  People mailing to you from other
       sites have to be told.  And you will have to remember that
       names on old backup media labels correspond to different names.

       I could go on but it would be easier just to forget this
       guideline exists.

It's obvious that numerical hostnames are allowed (there are many in
my /etc/hosts, resolving to 127.0.0.1), and they'll work with blue
chip software on the Internet, but it's always going to be a risk
if you use software that hasn't been stress tested like that.

Cheers,
David.