Re: [?]List of Best Debian-approved laptops in India

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 08:01:46PM +0530, Susmita/Rajib wrote:
> My illustrious List Leaders and solution providers,
>
> My references are here:
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=149280
> {to avoid repetition)

Rajib,

Please do not do this. Please do not refer across to the forums as that
means chasing away from the mailing lists. Please do ask questions here.

The forum post you have made is not very clear. Most laptops require some
firmware. Most laptops require non-free WiFi firmware. An increasing number
also require non-free video drivers. This is, unfortunately, to be expected:
the market share for Linux is small - even where manufacturers pre-install
Linux - like Lenovo - we may have to install non-free drivers.

> Need your advice and suggestion on the issue. The laptops that I have
> are problematic under Debian. Some modified Debian installation like
> Knoppix have sorted out some problems that exist with Pure Debian,
> like wifi in HP and vesa in HCL Me.

_Which_ model of HP laptop?
What does the output of lspci show?
If you use grep to search the output of dmesg, what does it show for
firmware / video chipset and so on?

> Vesa doesn't work in Debian Buster 10.8, by my blocking Nouveau
> through grub.cfg that halts the nvidia graphics chip. The string
> 'xmodule=vesa' doesn't work either.

Don't do that, then. If you install the main Debian installer [using text mode
 only if necessary) - an expert install does the laptop display anything?
The text mode installer and the graphical installer both use basic drivers
that should work with most chipsets.

> Debian nvidia drivers, as ever, fails to install.

How did you install them - what procedure did you follow?

> The nvidia drivers 64bit downloaded from nvidia website don't work.
> The problematic Hardware:
> (1) VGA compatible controller : NVIDIA Corporation MCP79 [GeForce
> 8200M G] (rev b1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> (2) Audio device : NVIDIA Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1)

If you use the proprietary drivers, then you will need to follow particular
steps. The drivers you need are referenced here:
https://packages.debian.org/buster/nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver

> So information would be welcome. This time I wish to buy a laptop that
> shall not be DND, but Debian approved.
>
> Regards,
> Rajib
> Etc.