Re: Creating my first LAN

On Thu 25 Mar 2021 at 07:41:11 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 03/25/2021 04:15 AM, songbird wrote:
> > Richard Owlett wrote:
> >    Part 2 (Asides to be ignored:  :) )
> >
> >    for my own needs i just use a crossover cable and skip
> > WiFi entirely - probably because in more ancient times
> > i've done connections between machines via null modem
> > serial port cables.

Chuckle. I use a crossover cable to connect this computer¹ to the
wall socket. It's totally unnecessary to be crossover, but it's
yellow (originally to distinguish it from blue, straight-through
cables) and better fits in with the decor, I'm told.

> >    i don't need WiFi here and i dislike broadcasting
> > anything for no reason other than to avoid a cable run.
>
> *CHUCKLE* The purpose of this exercise is to investigate networking
> via WiFi. As to privacy issues, there will be essentially  nothing on
> either machine except Debian.

The privacy issue is not what's running on either end, but the fact
that you're broadcasting everything to the neighbourhood.

I looked back and noticed that Brian had already made my suggestion of
a cheap router—back in August 2019. I think Dan's suggestion was the
best, though:

   "However, you have a history of trying to avoid the good
    decisions that people steer you towards, so I encourage you to
    give Bluetooth a miss entirely and go for an infrared LAN with a
    ceiling reflector."

But sorry if this is all off-topic. Let's look back and see what
is on-topic:

   "ON TOPIC references include:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_ad_hoc_network
    https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/AdHoc";

    Richard Owlett: Sat, 3 Aug 2019 08:18:13 -0500

¹ This AiO is a real steal: with power, and said yellow cable, it's
  so minimal[ist] that I'm allowed to have it in a reception room,
  rather than attic/basement etc. (Keyboard and mouse are wireless.)

Cheers,
David.