Re: Creating my first LAN

On 03/25/2021 04:15 AM, songbird wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:

This is essentially a reading list request.
I have never administered a LAN and believe in "learning by doing".
I have two laptops with clean installs of Buster. During installation
server software was installed on *ONE* of them. Communication will be
via WiFi. The MATE panel's network connection icon for each laptop shows
the existence of WiFi sources in the neighborhood.

Any specific suggestions for reading?
What internet search terms will lead to productive results?

   Part 1 (Answers last questions first).

   Google Linux WiFi Networking Overview
   Google Linux Wifi Networking Administration Overview

   if you want more general remove the word "WiFi"

Those terms are very productive on DuckDuckGo and give multiple hits for tldp.org .

   Part 2 (Asides to be ignored:  :) )

   for my own needs i just use a crossover cable and skip
WiFi entirely - probably because in more ancient times
i've done connections between machines via null modem
serial port cables.

Been there ;) I date back to CPM-80 on a S-100 system.

   i don't need WiFi here and i dislike broadcasting
anything for no reason other than to avoid a cable run.

*CHUCKLE* The purpose of this exercise is to investigate networking via WiFi. As to privacy issues, there will be essentially nothing on either machine except Debian.