Re: fsck error on boot: /dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY and Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary

On 20.03.2021 22:05, Andy Smith wrote:
Anyway in OP's position, they have lost data which they need to
restore and while they could wait and see if the errors are
increasing in number they probably just want to get it replaced
ASAP.
Thanks for your input, Andy.
Now OP should be able to make a right decision, to keep the drive and take the risk, or to replace it.
Eh, they could even put this drive into a cheap portable USB3-to-SATA HDD box and use it to carry around non-critical data or additional backup copies.

I just want to add my rationale behind recommendation to test the drive.
When I looked at SMART information OP provided, I've noticed high values of attributes #191 and #254.
This means OP is using a laptop and often move it around, bumps it, etc, which is obviously can't be good for a HDD inside.
And since attribute #5 still at 0, I think those pending sectors might be just sectors with bad CRC, that was caused by bumps and vibrations.
So, if OP will report back with clean test results, without any bad blocks being found, I'd consider this HDD healthy.
However, if bad blocks would be found, then I'd have recommended to replace it, or at least warn about consequences of keeping it.
There is still many things to consider, even if this drive's tests will pass without errors, because there are many reasons why bad sectors could appear.

Now that I think about it, I hope it didn't looked like I was suggesting OP to keep the drive no matter what, like "pshh few bad sectors big deal",
because of my lackluster ability to express myself using foreign language.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org