Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

> > I like to know at hand what file is on which disk.
>
> That used to work for A: vs C: back in the days of floppys, but what
> part of "E:" tells you which disk it is?  At best you get to assume that
> E: and D: are different disks, but the names don't tell you which is which.
>
> > Even though, it would not be bad to call them USB0: or HDD0:,
> > just a bit more complex.
>
> That's better, indeed.  But the "0" still makes it unclear (which disk
> is 0 and which is 1?).  To make it more clear, I think it's important to
> give (as much as possible) human-chosen names to the disks (for that
> reason I use LVM to partition my disks, where I can label my disks and
> partitions, although those labels aren't always reflected in the mount
> points, so they're not always visible in the actual names of the files
> that reside in them).

That would depend whether you would prefer sequentially
labeled devices or named devices.  The better approach would be to use both,
so the computer could give a name to a recently plugged device
without asking you for one or even before you can try to give it one.

Perhaps this conversation is getting off topic since this is a mailing list
for user-related things. :)