Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 3:50 PM David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
On 3/9/21 3:15 PM, Dan Hitt wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 1:12 PM David Christensen wrote:
>> On 3/7/21 7:09 PM, Dan Hitt wrote:
>>> On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 5:25 PM David Christensen <

>>> It's a mac pro.

>> When posting on a technical mailing list, please include the relevant
>> engineering identifiers when referring to hardware or software items --
>> e.g. alphanumeric codes variously named "model number", "part number",
>> "assembly number", "serial number", "architecture", "revision", etc..

> I don't have a good way to copy/paste information from the mac gui --- is
> there
> a shell command that i can run that could identify the exact model?
> ('uname' only
> identifies the software; the mac does not seem to have a 'lscpu' command.)

The identifying information should be engraved into the chassis, a
nameplate, a sticker, etc..

Hi David,

Thanks for your mail.

I looked around on the box and did not see any writing or engraving.

However, i was wrong about copying from the gui.  It is possible to copy some of the identifying strings, although naturally i would prefer to use the command line to get the info.

The model is "HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH41N", revision "PQ04".  It is from a long time ago (at least 13 years old), but the machine still mostly runs fine for what we use it for.   It is all original equipment except for the disk drives, one of which is an SSD.  At the time i already did not like to buy into closed technology but circumstances forced my hand, or so i thought.  For a job i had a few years ago i was issued a much newer mac, a laptop, which was very fancy, but also had trouble with my modem router [i do not have that laptop, so i don't know about the model].  Separating the modem router from the box with a switch does not help, but it does work on a separate LAN.  The ethernet hardware is identified as PCI, Intel 82574L.  There are two ports.

So the situation is not exactly ideal, but i can live with it.

And thanks for your help and ideas! :) :)

David