Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 5:25 PM David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
On 3/7/21 4:45 PM, Dan Hitt wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 4:27 PM David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/7/21 4:02 PM, Dan Hitt wrote:

>>> The reason for the two networks is that my modem-router is electrically
>>> incompatible with one of my computers.  That computer freezes or
>> otherwise
>>> misbehaves when one of its ethernet ports is on a network which also has
>>> the modem-router.

>> What a PITA.  Have you tried putting a network interface card into the
>> problematic computer so that you can run one LAN?
>>

> Actually, the problematic computer has two ethernet ports on it, but it is
> a mac, so not so clear how to get a network interface card into it.

What model mac?

It's a mac pro.

Are the two Ethernet ports factory original?  If not, what make/ model?

They're original.

What OS?  Have you tried reinstalling?  Have you tried any other OS's?

It's 10.6.8

Entirely apart from its black box nature, i'm constrained from repurposing it.  In some ways it is very thoughtfully put together, but it's not part of the free world.

dan

David