Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 4:27 PM David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
On 3/7/21 4:02 PM, Dan Hitt wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 11:01 AM David Christensen wrote:
>
>> On 3/7/21 9:55 AM, Dan Hitt wrote:
>>
>>> I indeed use ethernet-over-usb currently, and
>>> it is fast enough for me.  But if i had a second port, it would be a
>> little
>>> less cluttered, so i'd like to do it if it is not too costly and doesn't
>>> interfere with other goals. :)
>>

>> Will the new computer connect to two Ethernet networks?  Why?
>>

> Thanks David for your mail.
>
> The new computer will be connected to 2 ethernet networks (conceivably
> more).
>
> The reason for the two networks is that my modem-router is electrically
> incompatible with one of my computers.  That computer freezes or otherwise
> misbehaves when one of its ethernet ports is on a network which also has
> the modem-router.  So i need to have 2 networks because one of my computers
> is incompatible with my modem-router: one network contains the modem
> router, and one network contains the incompatible computer, and all the
> other hosts are on both networks.

What a PITA.  Have you tried putting a network interface card into the
problematic computer so that you can run one LAN?

Actually, the problematic computer has two ethernet ports on it, but it is a mac, so not so clear how to get a network interface card into it.

dan

> Thanks for the rest of your message, and everything else you have written
> in this thread, and thanks also everybody else for all this info which i am
> trying to digest.

YW.

David