Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

David Wright composed on 2021-03-08 22:37 (UTC-0600):

> On Sun 07 Mar 2021 at 21:37:37 (-0500), Felix Miata wrote:

>> Having != connected. The extras are spares. :)

> I realise that, but if your service were to become unsatisfactory,
> then before you complained, you'd want to check that it's not your
> modem at fault. Would you expect your spare modem to work, because it
> has a different MAC from what's expected by the ISP's end of the line.

> (Similarly, if your modem were to burn out, which is what happened
> to mine after seven years.)

Whenever I get a mind to, I call my ISP, tell them I'm changing modems, and what
the new MAC is. It gives me some confidence it's still useful. If there's a
problem they or I think a modem switch might shed light on, I do the same.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/