Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On 2021-03-07 at 19:04, David Christensen wrote:

> On 3/7/21 12:59 PM, deloptes wrote:

>> IMO UEFI makes sense when you have notebook with secureboot and probably
>> dual boot with windows.
>> For the home server or PC with Linux only ... IMO it is a waste.
>
> I can see how GPT labels would be useful for system drives, but I use
> BIOS/MBR because it is the lowest common denominator and I can move
> system drives between machines of varying age.

That'll probably stop working past a certain point, at least for some
machines. On recent Intel chipsets, Dell has stopped supporting booting
from internal hard drives except in UEFI/GPT mode (as in, they no longer
offer a setting for it, and their boot-device selection menus won't let
you do it), and I gather that Intel's newer chipsets are going to stop
including support for the UEFI components that permit MBR-based boot in
the relatively-near future (if they haven't in fact done that already).

At which point you'll need to maintain two categories of system drives:
ones which can work on older machines, prior to that dropping of
support, and ones which can work on newer machines, subsequent to the
addition of UEFI/GPT booting.

Isn't progress fun?

--
   The Wanderer