Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On 3/7/21 11:00 AM, ghe2001 wrote:
All of my current boxes are pretty old, and they all have vanilla BIOSes.  I have a Dell laptop that came with a UEFI BIOS, and it was no fun at all getting it to run Debian -- it may still be misconfigured for all I know.

If you want to start a new thread, perhaps we can help you with the Dell UEFI issue(s).

Looking for a genuine BIOS might be worth the trouble.

UEFI started coming into x86 motherboard firmware ~10 years ago, so a BIOS-only machine is going to be at least that old. That is okay for a server, but I would want newer Intel integrated graphics for a desktop. This implies UEFI firmware.

David