Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

The Wanderer composed on 2021-03-07 19:16 (UTC-0500):

> On 2021-03-07 at 19:04, David Christensen wrote:

>> I can see how GPT labels would be useful for system drives, but I use
>> BIOS/MBR because it is the lowest common denominator and I can move
>> system drives between machines of varying age.

> That'll probably stop working past a certain point, at least for some
> machines. On recent Intel chipsets, Dell has stopped supporting booting
> from internal hard drives except in UEFI/GPT mode (as in, they no longer
> offer a setting for it, and their boot-device selection menus won't let
> you do it), and I gather that Intel's newer chipsets are going to stop
> including support for the UEFI components that permit MBR-based boot in
> the relatively-near future (if they haven't in fact done that already).

> At which point you'll need to maintain two categories of system drives:
> ones which can work on older machines, prior to that dropping of
> support, and ones which can work on newer machines, subsequent to the
> addition of UEFI/GPT booting.

> Isn't progress fun?

Same kind as when Intel stopped providing PS/2 ports on its motherboards (and
chipset support?). I haven't bought an Intel motherboard since. There are plenty
competitors who know people like their quality ancient PS/2 keyboards that don't
work with USB adapters.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/