Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On 3/7/21 12:59 PM, deloptes wrote:
David Christensen wrote:

UEFI started coming into x86 motherboard firmware ~10 years ago, so a
BIOS-only machine is going to be at least that old.  That is okay for a
server, but I would want newer Intel integrated graphics for a desktop.
This implies UEFI firmware.

what has the graphic card to do with UEFI?

Chronological coincidence -- newer machines have newer Intel integrated graphics and UEFI.

IMO UEFI makes sense when you have notebook with secureboot and probably
dual boot with windows.
For the home server or PC with Linux only ... IMO it is a waste.

I can see how GPT labels would be useful for system drives, but I use BIOS/MBR because it is the lowest common denominator and I can move system drives between machines of varying age.

David