Re: debian installation is no longer working

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 12:00:18PM +1100, David wrote:

> Hi
>
> And I see that elsewhere you have mentioned btrfs.
>
> When I hear about a Debian system that is running from a USB
> flash memory stick, I do not expect high performance from that
> system [...]

Yes, but that isn't helpful.

My first suspicion was also towards the USB stick (corrupt file
system, that kind of thing). USB stick quality varies wildly, some
being extremely reliable and some being downright crap.

That's why my first stab went in that direction: it's far from
certain, but (statistically ;-) it would be a good bet to look
first for a broken file system.

Typically, what happens is that the boot process gets stuck at some
point, unable to mount some file system. If it's the root file
system, that happens early (whithin the initramfs [1]) It has to,
because after this, the root file system (/) is mounted.

Other file systems get mounted after that; under systemd, what
gets mounted when is driven, AFAIK [2], by its dependencies
machinery.

So the DEPEND problem you mention above /might/ be that systemd
notices, that for it starting some service it's supposed to start,
a file system would have to have been mounted before -- which
failed, because it is broken.

But it could also mean something totally different.

Semih, I fear I'm the wrong person to help you, because my systemd
knowledge is next to nil, and my btrfs knowledge is pretty minimal.

But I guess you'll have to post a couple of things for people to
help youi (I understood that you can manage to get a shell working
on your half-booting system, so those bits should be easy for you
to come by; apologies if I didn't understand you right):

  - the partition table on your stick
  - the output of "mount" at the point your boot process
    gets stuck (i.e. what file systems manage to get mounted)?

Besides, try to get hold of the first error messages you see in your
log files since boot.

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initramfs
[2] As far as I know. On things systemd, I don't know very far.

 - t